Latest News

  • New Meeting Format

    We’ve changed the format of our General meetings to include regular guest speakers and a Club Profile by one of our delegates about their club. All motorcyclists are welcome to attend the MCC's...

  • Helmet Laws

    On 11th December 2015 the use of helmets meeting International Helmet standard UN ECE 22.05 became legal for use in NSW. For more information click here

  • Cameras on Helmets

    The use of cameras on motorcycle helmets is now legal in the ACT provided that the mount is “frangible”. ACT Legislative Instrument The NSW Centre for Road Safety is undertaking another round of...

  • Increased Penalties for Phone Use While Driving

    Mobile phone offences have been added to double demerit periods. Also, an additional demerit point will be added to the existing standard penalty of three points. For more info Know The Rules

  • Historic Registration Rules

    On 4th September 2015 Duncan Gay, the Minister for Roads announced a new additional Historic Registration scheme (Classic Vehicle Scheme) to run along side the existing scheme. Download from the link ...

  • Putty Road and Oxley Highway Emergency Phone Locations

    The MCC has put together a pamphlet outlining the location of Emergency Phones along the Putty Road. A pamphlet is in preparation for the recently installed phones on the Oxley Highway. For more...

  • Lane Filtering legalised

    On 1st July 2014, lane filtering was legalised in NSW. The MCC of NSW has fought for this legalisation for many years. For more details click here

  • About M.A.R.I.

    A brief history of M.A.R.I.

Accident Q&A

Q. What should I do if I am in an accident?

A. If the accident is not your fault it is important to ensure you obtain the details of the other vehicle. That includes the make, model and type of car, the registration details, name and address of the driver and the drivers licence. These details are important as the green slip insurer can be identified from these details.

It would be helpful to take photos of the vehicles with a camera or mobile phone and record the details of any witnesses who saw the accident.

Q. How long do I have to lodge a claim form and what happens if it is lodged late?

A. It is a requirement under the Motor Accidents Compensation Act that a claim form be lodged within six months of the date of the injury. The form must be fully completed, with an original medical certificate attached and witnessed by a Justice of the Peace or Solicitor.

If the form is lodged outside the six month period then you must provide the insurer with a reasonable and satisfactory explanation for delay. The delay must be in the form of a statutory declaration and must outline all of the facts and circumstances which are relevant to the delay including your state of mind, knowledge and any other facts relevant.

Q. What if I am not happy with the insurer’s offer to settle my case?

The insurer has an obligation to make an offer of settlement at the first available opportunity. Their first offer is often based on little evidence and will not generally be considered a fair assessment of your injuries and ongoing disabilities. Whenever an offer is made it is important that you determine exactly what the net result to you is as the offer will often have deductions such as medical expenses paid by the insurer, any repayments to medicare and centrelink.

It is strongly recommended that before accepting any offer by the insurer that you obtain legal advice as once you have signed the settlement documents you are bound by the settlement whether it is fair or not.