June 6 – 8, 2009 – June Long Weekend
The Alpine Motorcycle Rally is Australia’s longest running rally.
All motorcyclists (no cars please) are invited to be a part of this big occasion at Yarrangobilly, being held where it all started back in 1969, on the banks of the Yarrangobilly River
next to the Snowy Mtns Hwy.
This year we’re trying to encourage our younger generation to attend this & other rallies so we don’t lose this tradition
This year’s presentation will be 5 pm Saturday.
Rally cost: $16 prepaid and $20 on site.
Free raffle to all entrants with prizes from the motorcycle industry.
Woz’s Handy Hints on the Alpine Motorcycle Rally
The site can be reached by all tar routes or there is any number of “Adventure Routes” to suit all levels of ability (both real and imagined).
For first timers, the rally is in an Alpine region. Occasionally it snows at the site overnight.
Overnight temperatures are generally sub zero.
It is a BYO everything rally but there is firewood on site.
- Take a good quality sub zero rated sleeping bag and a matt of some sort to insulate you from the ground.
- A waterproof tent or swag is essential. Remember though, even your old tent will stop leaking once the water is frozen. (just joking – take a waterproof tent)
- If you get wet you will get very cold so take good wet weather gear.
- Take a few shopping bags to put over wet socks if your boots get wet.
- Foil blankets can be bought cheaply, are compact and provide good insulation.
- Take spare gloves. If it rains you may not have enough time to dry a pair on a stick around a fire.
- A side stand plate can be useful for keeping you bike upright on soft ground.
Come prepared and you will have a great time and meet a lot of serious motorcycle travelers.