The NSW Government reviewed the findings of the report, NSW crash analysis and the approach taken in other jurisdictions, and as a result proposed a new approach for lane filtering in NSW.
Based on TfNSW’s recommendation, the Government decided to:
- Make lane filtering legal when done safely at a speed 30km/h or under (See conditions below).
- Create a new offence of ‘lane splitting’ to outlaw dangerous behaviour where a motorcycle rider moves past vehicles in the same lane unsafely at a speed faster than 30km/h.
- Launch an awareness campaign to educate all road users about:
– the difference between lane filtering and lane splitting
– how lane filtering can be done safely for all road users
– the need for all road users to be aware of motorcyclists that may be lane filtering.